Sorry, entry is restricted to NZ residents for this one. Nelson Arts Council has finally released the details for our new awards. (I've been hearing about this for nearly a year I thought it was an urban myth!) I'm checking about the "Saturday 11 January 2009" part, but I think it's safe to assume it's 9 January 2009, because we really don't work on Sundays in Nelson in the summer. You have to forgive Lloyd for getting the dates mixed up; he has his own painting exhibition opening at the Red tomorrow.
Lloyd's web site may be easier to read?
* * * * *
Arts Council Nelson presents Changing Threads - an exhibition of contemporary fibre and textile art at The Refinery Artspace, Nelson. 14 February - 7 March 2009
The aim of this exhibition is to showcase the use of fibre and textiles in a challenging and more conceptual way from their more general usage. Open to all artists currently living in New Zealand
AWARDS to the value of $6,500.00.
* Tasman District Council Award for ‘Excellence in contemporary interpretation of work featuring traditional techniques ". Cash prize of $1,500.00
* Nelson City Council Award for the work which best captures ~ ‘The Spirit of the Nelson Region'. Cash prize of $1,500.00.
* Bernina Award for the ‘most creative entry using a sewing machine'. Prize valued at $2000.00
* Creative Craft Supplies Award for ' the most innovative use of product combined with fibres / textiles '. Cash prize of $500.00 + $500.00 product voucher. Redeemable for goods from Creative Craft Supplies.
* Fibre Creations Award for the‘Best use of colour in a work’. Value: $500 voucher. Redeemable for goods from Fibre Creations.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES ~ FRIDAY 11TH JANUARY 2009 [I think he means 9 Jan]
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS ~ Awards will be announced and presented at the Gala Opening and Awards Presentation at The Refinery Artspace at 5pm on 14th February 2009. All entrants, their partners and Arts Council Nelson Members are invited to attend.
Arts Council Nelson express its’ gratitude to the Awards Sponsors, along with the support of the Tasman District & Nelson City Creative Communities Schemes in making this awards event possible.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. This exhibition is open to anyone currently living in New Zealand
2. Artworks must predominantly feature fibres or textiles. These may be natural, synthetic or any combination of these.
3. Work will be selected for the exhibition on ORIGINALITY, the emphasis being on work which stretches the boundaries of fibre art to give a contemporary twist to the more traditional view of this medium. Work must be the artists own design and execution.
4. Work may use any technique or mix of techniques, and may be two or three dimensional. Maximum size is 1.5m high x2m wide. Work may be free -standing, wall mounted or suspended.
5. Artists may submit up to 3 pieces of work. The entry fee for each work submitted is $10.00. Cheques should be made payable to Arts Council Nelson. Please note that entry fees are non-refundable.
6. Initial selection of work will be by photo on C.D only. Please ensue that your name is clearly marked on the CD, and that file names correspond with the work(s) thereon. Accompanying your CD should be your entry fee(s), contact details, title of work(s), dimensions and a description of materials used. Please note that CD’s will not be returned unless requested and a stamped self-address envelope is enclosed.
CD entries should be mailed to Arts Council Nelson, PO Box 566 Nelson. 7040, and MUST arrive by Fri 11th January 2009.
7. Selected entrants will then be asked to submit actual works, which may be subject to further selection. All selected work is to arrive at the Refinery Artspace, 3, Halifax St, Nelson, by 5th Feb 2009. Suitability for space and the general look and feel of the exhibition may be considerations in order to best feature work. All successful artists will be notified on the outcome of the selection process prior to the exhibition opening night on Sat 14th Feb.
8. The Awards will be selected by two judges whose decision will be final.
No correspondence will be entered into regarding the selection outcomes.
9. Work must be sent ready for hanging, with instructions and inclusion of any unusual or extra requirements. All packaging and hanging materials must be clearly named
10. The artist’s name, title of work and sale price (or NFS) must be written clearly on the back of the artwork. 30% commission will be taken on all sales, although it is not compulsory that work be for sale.
11. All selected work must remain on exhibition for the duration of the exhibition.
12. Each artist must provide a recent photograph of themselves and a short statement about their work, which may be exhibited alongside their work.
13. Insurance is the responsibility of the artist, both in the gallery and in transit. Whilst all due care will be taken, the organizers can not be held responsible for any damage or loss incurred.
14. Artists may collect unsold work on 29th Feb between 11am -3pm from the Refinery Artspace. For artists outside Nelson, return courier tickets must be included with the artwork, in a clearly marked envelope.
15. Use of imagery. In entering the Awards, artists impart permission for short-listed entries to be exhibited at the Refinery Artspace, and for work to be reproduced for promotional purposes of this and future Changing Threads Fibre Art Awards. Nelson City Council reserve the right to reproduce and use the image of the winning entry of ‘The Spirit of the Nelson Region' Award, for use in regional promotional material at their discretion. Work title and artist acknowledgments will apply to any such use. Please advise in writing, at time of submission, should you not wish your entry to be considered for this particular award. Consent will be assumed unless notified otherwise.
16. In submitting works to this event, artists impart their understanding and consent of the above terms and conditions.
If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact Lloyd Harwood at Arts Council Nelson on 03 548 4640, 027 326 9166, or email: email@example.com.
* * * * *
So, no Christmas for us, Kiwis. Let's get cracking!