Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A Little Tied Up

I apologize if suddenly 101 posts of mine popped up in your feed. This is the only new post, while everything from the last 14-ish months were due to my operation error. I was trying to read all published posts labeled "tied weave", and while searching, I mistakenly added that label to the latest 100 posts. I don't use my own labels often, and Blogger might have changed their editor setup since I used it last. Or I just didn't remember correctly. I am now welcoming any humble pies you'd like me to eat.

* * * * *

In relearning tied weaves, mostly Summer and Winter in relation to "Syrie", I looked at a small collection of samples I did for other projects yesterday.

1) Patterns are expressed by wefts.
2) I don't have to use patterns, i.e. I can have have big areas of backgrounds, where Syria-inspired design will appear; weft can be seen, of course, but depending on the weft and warp yarn/s, size balance, and the pattern, they can be inconspicuous.
3) I can use most of the shafts for the background and reserve just one for the pattern/windows if the windows are to appear in unison horizontally. The height of the windows can vary with  the treadling. If I want three sets of windows, where the third is a composite of two sets, I only need two pattern shafts.
Apologies the writing is tiny. The top pattern can be made with one or more pattern shafts, whereas the bottom two are examples of using two shafts.

Then I noticed I had a label called "tied weaves" (=>), so I skimmed through them. (Always terribly cringe-worthy to reread one's post, with mistakes, typos, mumbling, etc.,) but I thought it'd be quicker than checking books. Now that the label fiasco has been cleaned up, I think, I shall go back to these posts and correct typos at the very least.

I'll stop here today as most of the afternoon was spent remedying my mistake. More in a couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for taking the time!