It appears it is paint, possibly oil soluble. (EDIT: I had no rhyme or reason why I said oil soluble, other than that it didn't flake off like I expected acrylic paint to do. Donno....) I tried hot water, cold water, diluted regular laundry liquid, baking soda and gentle brushing, but the paint appears to have soaked into the fiber rather than sitting on the surface, and is not flaking off. I am thinking of testing turpentine and methylated spirit on a sample piece, but if the paint is in the fiber, it'll entail soaking a bit, won't it? Oh, Gwoowwd, why me?

Am I now officially the most post-delivery-accident-prone weaver, or do you have have tales to tell also?

The good news is, this piece looks stunning underwater. So shall I sell it as part of a bathing outfit?

PS. I have thought of steam iron, but would that soak the stuff further into the fiber or make it flaky?

PPS: Paint shop said meth if it looks water-based. Grrrrrr.......

PPPS: Spoke to the cotton supplier whose dad happens to be a painter, and recommended meth. I think the verdict is out.

PPPPS: Spoke to Jay at the gallery and she's offered to buy the piece, but I said I'd try meth anyway. Meanwhile, she's look up her book of stain removal and advise.

PPPPPS: Riki the tile guy and Taueret suggested superfine sandpaper, but I don't think the threads are thick enough to withstand it... But please read the next post.

Update: I dabbed cotton in meth, placed one under the mark, one over and gently patted. Absolutely nothing happened, except the warp around the area is getting much to fuzzy. I am disappointed, as I had envisioned the point quickly dissolving in meth.


Dana and Daisy said...

I don't know if you really want to take my advice, but... maybe if you can't beat 'em join 'em? Soak it in an oil solution and stain the whole piece?

Meg said...

I was talking to the Paint Shop lady and such substances as turpentine and bleach came up, but we figured unless we removed the stuff, overdyeying with any solution would still leave the marks.

But Dana, still not grumpy - just a bit challenged!!! Even though only one tradesman came for... an hour? And rain, yay. Your umbrella is perfect for Nelson just now.

Anonymous said...

Why not scrapped and buy the new one???


Geodyne said...

Goodness, the previous commenter has clearly never read your blog.

Poor Meg! I'm nervous for you and holding my breath in anticipation. Is there any clue as to how the paint could have got there in the first place?

Also, I've left you a little surprise in my blog, here/

Anonymous said...

yeah MEG! JUST BUY A NEW ONE. You silly woman. Why would anyone want to do that anyway. You can buy fabric at Walmart you know, blahdiddyblahblah. *eyeroll*

Anonymous said...

oh that taueret!

why not cut it out? sew some groovy seams into the scarf, add some extra fringe and upscale the fabric?

Beading and applique soooo time consuming.

slice and sew is the way to go!

Meg said...

It's not a very long piece to start with... It hasn't got fringes... I'm not mindlessly rejecting your suggestions, but I'm a bit uncertain what to add, or sawing with/onto such gauzy fabric is all. Give me time.

Bonnie said...

Use it as a rag to wipe up nasty spills and weave another.

Meg said...

Probably makes a good scrub pad, Bonnie. Well, several.

Dianne said...

Try dabbing on meths for water based first and it might be as it has soaked into the fabric. When it softens use soap (sunlight soap) to remove. Otherwise same thing with turps. Certainly not sandpaper!!

The fabric looks lovely. Could it be made into a floaty vest or line with vylene for a fitted vest.

Meg said...

I think the order now is meth & dish detergent, glycerin, turp, then painting. Seriously, DD, it's become a much bigger project than I had planned. I'm not good at sawing so the vest plan is totally out, though I wished I at least thought of it.